Rules & Regs
The Rules & Regulations section of your lease provides invaluable information on payments, keys, maintenance and much more. We get a lot of questions about what you can and cannot alter in your apartment. Below is an excerpt from the Rules & Regulations that will answer many of these questions. If you have any additional questions, please contact us!
- Tenant shall not remodel or make any structural changes, alterations or additions to the premises.
- Tenant shall not paper, paint or decorate, or install, attach, remove or exchange appliances or equipment.
- Tenant should use a limited number of tacks or small push pins for hanging objects on the walls only in order to minimize damage.
- Tenant shall be responsible for any excessive damage to walls, and any damage to doors, woodwork, appliances, ceilings or fixtures caused by nailing, taping, or affixing in any manner pictures, posters, mirrors, hangers, or other items thereto.
- Tenants shall be responsible for any special cleaning/disinfecting needed due to any medical condition (i.e. allergies to dust, smoke, animals, etc.)
- Tenants understand that the numbers of telephone, cable and internet lines provided to the dwelling unit are provided in an “as is” condition.
- The current exterior & interior locks CANNOT be changed without written permission from Landlord/Agent. If Tenant changes the original locks without permission, Tenant will be charged for the cost of immediately removing the locks and installing the original or new lock as well as the cost of the new lock.
- Tenants shall use removable floor coverings (i.e. throw carpets) to cover 75% of any wood or other hard surface flooring in a unit.
The Urban Exchange community is Party-Free. Please understand that if you choose to party, please take your party elsewhere. Our community is built upon respect and those that choose to live here would like to be able to work, study and sleep without the fear of loud music, footsteps and yelling in the hallways. Respect others as you would like to have them respect you is a simple motto to live by when living at the UE.
The Urban Exchange APEX policy
- The APEX is available from 10:00am – 11:00pm.
- The APEX is available for use by tenants who have a zero balance on their account.
- Guests can dial 444 for the APEX A-phone entry system to gain access
- I acknowledge that I will be responsible for:
- The actions of all guests in the APEX and on the Urban Exchange property
- Any damage to the APEX and agree to pay the cost of repairing any such damage
- The replacement cost of any damaged and/or missing furnishing in the APEX
- Not exceeding the 25 person maximum occupancy in the APEX
- Enforcing no smoking in the APEX and common areas of the Urban Exchange
- Assuring there are no illegal activities by guests on the property
- Assuring that there are no alcoholic beverages consumed in the Apex or common areas of the building.
- Assuring that no animals enter into the APEX or common areas of the building with the exception of service animals.
- Not disturbing the residents’ quiet enjoyment of the Urban Exchange
- Making sure all guests are out of the APEX and the doors are locked by the time specified above
- Removing all trash from the APEX, bathroom and common areas of the fourth floor
- There is a trash/recycling room adjacent to the elevator. All trash and recycling should be separated and put in the appropriate chute—not left in the trash room.
- Cleaning and wiping down the APEX, bathroom and common area – leaving the areas in the same or better condition
- Returning the APEX door key and fob to the onsite leasing office or dropbox by 11:00 pm that night (Failing to return the key and fob in the time specified will result in a $95.00 re-keying fee)
- RESPECT. Please let the neighboring apartments know to contact you, personally, if your gathering becomes too loud for them to handle.
5. The property manager will inspect the APEX the following business day. Any required cleaning and/or repairs/replacements will be charged to your personal account and will be payable by the first of the next month. The amount charged can be paid with your monthly rent.
You’ll often receive emails from the Urban Exchange & Matchbox Realty Team, including your Property Manager & the Leasing Assistants but also from our Accounting Department Staff, Director of Marketing, Director of IT, & others! Our intentions are not to spam you; our goal is to provide important information about your obligations & our community.
Examples of email notifications you may receive during your tenancy are:
- The Official Renewal Notice: We would love for you to stay with us year after year, so we always offer our current residents the first priority to renew. If you miss the deadline, you may lose your apartment.
- Community Events: Throughout the year, we’ll host a handful of community events for you & your friends. Please let us know if you have ideas!
- Past Due or Auto-Pay Notifications: If you paid rent online (or if you NEED to), Accounting will keep you in the loop.
- Showing or Inspection Notices: For any non-emergency entry, we’ll provide 24+ hours’ notice. Seasonal inspections include Winter Inspections (December) & Furniture Inspections (April).
- Special offers: We work with a variety of local businesses that help make Harrisonburg the awesome place it is. Occasionally these businesses give us special offers for our residents only!
- Monthly Payment Thank You: If you pay your rent by the end of the day on the 1st of each month, we will send you a special coupon from a local business!
If you don’t receive at least one email a month from any of the addresses or people listed above, we must have an incorrect email. Please reach out to us to ensure we have a correct email address. Add us to your address book so you don’t miss any important information.
- Garage parking spaces at the Urban Exchange are not assigned parking spaces.
- Those that live in the 242 building should be parking in the P1 garage and those that live in the 238 building should be parking in the P2 garage.
- Compact cars should use parking spaces on the outer edges of the garage so that larger vehicles don’t have to navigate into those areas.
- Those that do not have interior parking passes, should get an exterior permit from the Urban Exchange office. Exterior permits are for those that will want to use the parking spaces on the parking lot at Ott St/Water St and the spaces at the Urban Exchange that are not marked for commercial use.
- For a complete guide to Rules and Regulations/Vehicle Registration at the Urban Exchange, please follow this link.
Your safety is a top priority; please let us know if you see any lights that are out in the garage so we can address the issue promptly.
This is a map showing many of the parking lots around the Urban Exchange. This does not include the street parking that the City provides.
- Guest parking is basically “downtown parking”. For downtown parking, see the city website. Please pay attention to the signs on the streets that indicate where Fire Lanes are and also the amount of time that you can park in one location. Sunday’s are usually free parking and overnight parking is usually OK until about 9 am. After that, city parking enforcement is very strict. The parking garages are free to park in on Elizabeth Street and Water Street, but again, you must be careful on the time you stay in the spaces.
- If you find yourself with a rental car or a borrowed car and you normally have interior parking, please stop by the Management Office to see if we have any temporary parking stickers that you can borrow.
- If we do, you can borrow a sticker for up to seven days without a charge. If you lose or damage the sticker, there will be a $25 fee charged to your account.
- Please remember that the interior bike parking spaces are for Tenants of the building only. There is also a bike rack under the 242 stairs on the front of the building under the blue bridge. This is also for Tenant use. If you have any guests that intend to leave their bikes at the building, please have them use the bike rack at the sidewalk on Water Street.
- All Tenant bicycles must have bikes passes to be on the property and any bike that is locked to any other structure will be removed immediately at your cost. Complete the Bike Policy form & return it to the leasing office to receive your bike pass.
- For any bicycle that is removed by our maintenance company for any reason, please know that we will only hold them onsite for 30 days before they are donated to the needy. If you do recover them prior to the 30 day deadline, there will be a $50 recovery fee to reimburse the maintenance company for their time.